6,600 B.C.: The earliest
record of human habitation at the mouth of the Rogue
1542-43: The earliest
approaches to the Southern Oregon Coast by the
1828: Jedediah Smith lead an
expedition through the area.
1877: The R.D. Hume hatchery
was established on the Rogue River.
1890: Ellensburg becomes Gold Beach
and a wagon road was completed north to Coos County.
1924: First electricity in
1927: Roosevelt Highway 101
1932: Patterson Bridge
1935: Commercial fishing with
nets banned on the Rogue River.
Established in 1955, the Gold Beach Port
District has grown to own and manage a diverse portfolio
of interests in the Gold Beach area.
The original Cannery Building was
constructed by Jerry Hull in 1968. The building
was constructed when the ocean troll salmon fishing off
the mouth of the Rogue River was at it's peak.
In 1974, with the addition of a shrimp
and crab fishery, the two story full scale seafood
processing plant was constructed. The plant
contained shrimp, crab, and salmon processing equipment.
Between 1974 and 1984 the facility changed hands 3
times. From 1986 until the present decreases in
non-tribal troll fisheries had a negative effect on the
plant's ability to operate profitably. In 1991 the
cannery facility was sub-leased for sea urchin
With the need to diversify
from the fishing industry the Port decided to renovate
the Cannery. In March 1998 the doors opened to the
newly renovated cannery building.
interests now include the port, the airport, and Huntley